Exercising at Home – Getting Started
Did you know adults need 30 minutes of physical activity every day to stay fit? It can be hard to fit exercise into your day, but it can be done and we’re here to help. Have you thought about exercising at home? Here are some tips to get started:
- Sign up for the Presidential Active Lifestyle Award (PALA+). Track your fitness online or in a notebook. Read about other activities.
- The CDC says you need aerobic activity and muscle-strengthening activity, but what does that mean? How much of each do you need every week? Find out here.
- Find at-home exercises that work for you. The American Council on Exercise (ACE) has 25 at-home exercises you can do using only your body weight. Add these to your muscle-strengthening activities.
- Take a walk and count your steps. Walking is free and can be an easy addition to your routine. Adults need 8,500 steps a day. Make a playlist or listen to the Surgeon General’s Walking Playlist. Walk with a friend or family member to make it social and fun.
- Stretch! It helps reduce injuries and can be done anywhere. Check out these basic stretches from the Mayo Clinic.
- Learn about more ways to add physical activity to your day. If you drive, park your car further away from the entrance. Choose the stairs over the elevator. Take public transportation and add more walking to your route.
Need more motivation? Watch Ashanti’s Master Plan Workout for high energy ideas on creating an exercise routine that works for you. Get started today!